Students Offering Support (SOS) is a National Charity that develops and supports Chapters in universities across North America. The SOS model, Raising Marks, Raising Money, Raising Roofs, provides a service within which people place genuine value, and is unlike any other organization. Students Offering Support is a unique social enterprise that relies on the passionate student leaders to create positive impact both at home and abroad. Regardless of position, all Students Offering Support volunteers must thoroughly understand, communicate, and embody SOS’ 360 degree model of volunteering.
Vice President, Finance
As the VP of Finance, you are responsible for your SOS Chapter’s accounting and finances, ensuring the Chapter’s compliance with Revenue Canada’s annual audit for SOS’ charitable status. You will be responsible for adjusting the budget and updating the income statement, in addition to conducting weekly-monthly reconciliations and finance updates.
- Obtain signing authority from outgoing VP of Finance for the Chapter bank account during transition period;
- Manage and balance the Chapter’s expenses & revenues;
- Prepare financial statements (budget, income statement, projections) using the SOS Portal and external documents;
- Compile and communicate SOS policies to your team and Chapter, that are established by Head Office;
- Communicate monthly as required with SOS Head Office;
- Complete monthly reconciliations;
- Follow effective processes for cash collection;
- Reach out to VPs of Finance at other Chapters for insight, resources, sharing, and network development;
- Schedule meetings for your department specifically;
- Attend weekly meetings with President(s) and exec team – provide department updates, contribute to brainstorming sessions, and provide team with feedback to all members.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Proven leadership experience;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Enjoy working with both numbers and people;
- Ability to approach and execute projects professionally;
- Strong organizational skills;
- A love for learning and a dedication to increase the access to education in Canada and Latin America.
Last modified: September 10, 2018